history of the IIAF Golden Crown finds its beginning in 1955
with the delivery of the F-84G Thunder Jet, the first jet
fighter of the Imperial Iranian Air Force. Prior to delivery
of the first jets, the IIAF sent 15 pilots (including Gen.
Mahammad Khatami who later became the commander of the Air
Force) to Fursten Feldbrook USAF Base in Germany to attend
the Jet Pilot Training School. Upon completion of the training
program, 10 pilots (including Gen. Khatami) returned to Iran
while 5 of them (Capt.'s Nader Jahanbani, Siamak Jahanbini,
and 1st Lt.'s Iraj Mokhaberi, Amirhossain Rabii, and Abdolhossain
Minousepehr) continued their training by going to Jet Pilot
Instructor Course. Luckily, Fursten Feldbrook AFB was the
home of the “Sky Blazers” USAF Acro team at the time, and
their day-to-day practices were carefully being watched by
Capt. Nader Jahanbani. He wished that someday the IIAF would
also have such a team of their own. This wish was the source
of a close friendship between Capt. Jahanbani and the members
of the "Sky Blazers", especially with team leader Maj. Smallen.
This friendship enabled Capt. Nader Jahanbani to participate
in some of the Sky Blazers team practices by flying in the
backseat of Maj. Smallen. After completing the Jet Instructor
Pilot Course and returning back to Iran, Nader Jahanbani (now
Maj.) formed Iran’s first AcroJet team by practicing with
Gen. Khatami (now Air Force Commander), Capt. Jahanbini, Capt.
Rabii, and 1st Lt. Minousepehr.
Finally, after 72 practice sessions, in June 1958, the dream
of Maj. Nader Jahanbani turned to reality and the beautiful
blue Iranian sky witnessed a new flock of high-flying birds
called the Imperial Iranian Air Force Golden Crown AcroJet
Team (Teame Acro Jete Taje Talaee Niroueh Havaee Shahanshahi
Iran ). Because Maj. Nader Jahanbani was able to turn his
vision and dream into reality, he became the Father of the
IIAF Golden Crown.
First AcroJet Team 1958